Tuesday, April 15, 2008

soooo yeah, whales...

I was granted a wonderful day on the north shore at a spot called Sharks Cove. A hotbed for snorkeling and swimming. We swam with the beautiful fish and I found myself laughing a giddy laughter underwater because it was such a surreal experience. Later, we caught a group of humpback whales frolicking off shore. In a rare moment like out of a Oceanographers documentary we caught a whale breach the ocean surface. It was the most spectacular thing I've ever seen in nature. It looked like a entire section of a locomotive erupting from the ocean surface. And then it just crashed down into the water and disappeared. They played for another hour, flapping tails and blowing fountains of water. Truly a surreal experience.

One of my favorite things was that I had the fortune to spend the day with one of the most magical 4 year olds you could ever meet. And after 10 minutes, he was completely bored with the whales. It was so funny to think that whales were mundane for this young man. Its amazing to think that the ocean is so available to everyone here. Leisure is just sort of a necessity here, and how could you possibly ignore the sun, the ocean? I sliver of paradise in your everyday routine is a true gift.

No comments: